Over at Battle of California, an amusing little blog, commenters named their top 5 most loved and most hated teams. I’m a list junkie, so I thought I’d throw one together and share it with the world.
My Top 5 Most Loved Teams…
1. Dallas Stars. Duh.
2. Washington Capitals. They might choke in the playoffs, but they’re the most exciting team in the league. Plus, I have this irrational love of Alex Ovechkin and his BFFs, Nicky Backstrom and Sasha Semin. The Caps are my fall-back team, and I support them on the Stars’ off-nights.
3. Chicago Blackhawks. I’ve really embraced the Hawks this year. I don’t know what it is about them, but they’re just so likeable. From 20 Cent to Captain Serious to the handsome Patrick Sharp, they’re a mixed bag. Sadly, they’re only half the team they once were. Now I might have to root for the Atlanta Blackhawks.
4. Tampa Bay Lightning. I loved B-Rad and his besties, Vinny Lecavalier and my munchkin, Marty St. Louis, back in their Cup year and I still love them. I’m glad that they’re getting better because I really do like them.
5. Carolina Hurricanes. My fifth most favorite team is kind of a default. in case y’all didn’t know, Jussi Jokinen is one of my favorite former Stars ever. I follow him more so than others partly because I have an easier time rooting for the Canes than, say, Nik Hagman and the Flames.
The 5 Least-Loved…
1. Pittsburgh Penguins. I don’t like teams that get a lot of concessions from the league, like the Bettman Penguins. My hatred of the Pens is part jealousy, part anger. I’m jealous that they were able to snag Crosby and malkin because of the lockout. I’m jealous that they always seem to win everything. I’m jealous that they have Sidney Crosby. The anger stems from 1991 and 2009 when they beat a couple of my teams. I just don’t like them.
2. Anaheim Ducks. They’re a division rival, and even though we seem to beat them a lot, I still can’t bring myself to like them. The Ducks are a dirty team with the likes of Chris Pronger, Corey Perry, James Wisniewski, et cetera. I think the only players I like on Anaheim are George Parros and Jonas Hiller. I love Teemu Selanne, but his future remains up in the air.
3. Vancouver Canucks. Alain Vigenault is a whiner. His whining about every little call irks me to enormous levels. Then I don’t like Luongo and his arrogance or Burrows and his pestiness. Plus, I don’t think I’ll ever forgive them for 2007. Ever.
4. Ottawa Senators. Part of the hate comes from my masochistic love of the ?Leafs. By default, I guess I’m supposed to hate the Sens. And I do. I can’t even explain why I don’t like them; I guess there are just teams that do that to you.
5. Team Canada. I have nothing against the country or anything, but I do not like Team Canada’s hockey teams. It’s no fun watching them win every gold medal that comes their way. The 2010 World Jr.’s (starring Jack Campbell!) were sweet, sweet revenge.
So. That’s it. Back to hockey withdrawal…